Wrapping Up || April & May

21:43


Ok, so after the announcement that I was going to write this blog in English now the next step is to actually write something and post stuff. So here we go. I thought I could start this new stage in The Snowy Owl by wrapping up the sad sad reading months that have been April and May. Ok, I'm being extra dramatic here and it wasn't actually that bad. But this girl loves drama! I mean, not always... But sometimes. When I'm in the mood and it's all in a very fun light-hearted way, as in being dramatic but not taking it to seriously, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, stop with the rambling and let's talk about books. In the past two months I have read the grand total of five books. That is one less than what I read just in February alone. February, guys! The shortest month of the year! Granted, they've been pretty hectic months with my brother's wedding (had so much fun, I asked them to do it again in like 5 years because it was THAT fun) and all the uni assignments. Also, May is just the one month where my city decides to have all its festivals which, working where I work, means that I have to work extra hours and there's basically a lot of movement and people coming and going around my workplace. All this circumstances have produced a beautiful reading slump that it's reflected in the "small" amount of books I've read and the fact that they are mainly contemporary novels, which are my cure to "slumpiness", with the one fantasy book thrown in there, feeling very awkward next to the fluffy reads.


To All The Boys I've Love Before + P.S. I still love you by Jenny Han.
There's two words to describe this trilogy (even though I haven't read the last one yet, I know it will also apply to it): cuteness and baking goods. Ok, that's three but they are two concepts so we're still good. In these books we follow Lara Jean in her discovery of love but also in her own self-discovery. It's a lovely story about an Asian-American teenager through her last years in highschool that gave me all the fluffy feels thanks to its portray of family and first loves. And there's a lot of baking talk and baking doing, guys. I'm not one to have a sweet tooth and I don't really care that much about cake and cookies unless they have chocolate but even I got hungry every time the main character cooked something of the sort. And  it was a lot!! Overall, a fun, cute, light read perfect for summer (even though I read it in Spring) and also to fight reading slumps. Rating: 4/5 for both of them.



My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick:
Here's another cutesy read though this novel slightly touches more serious topics like drug abuse or politics among others I don't want to talk about so as not to spoil you. It's also a family story or the story of the big loving family our MC would like to have. It shows it perks and also its downs but ultimately defends this style over the snobby ways of the MC's mother. And talking about the main character, let's say she is a bit of Mary Sue but she is still pretty likeable and I ship her so much with her love interest who was basically dreamy and cute and everything a (straight) girl can ask for in a guy. Again, light-hearted read though not as fluffy and with more drama than Jenny Han's trilogy. Rating: 4/5



The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson:
Ok, so... I really liked the Mistborn's first trilogy. I was a bit shocked by the ending because, basically, it's really weird. Still, overall it was good and fun and enjoyable. The Alloy of Law follows more or less the same tendency, the same world but 200 years after the events of the first trilogy. The society has "evolved" towards the industrial revolution that coexists with this world's magic system. From the look of it, I thought I'd like the story as much as I did with Vin's, the MC of the first trilogy. However, this time I couldn't empathize as much with the characters and I couldn't understand or didn't agree with some of the characters reasonings. I really liked the funny sidekick because I'm trash when it comes to funny sidekicks but it bothered me that some of his comments were kind of sexist. All this made me more aware of Sanderson conservative views in some aspects. I respect that but I don't agree with it and, as well as with my slumpiness, made me not enjoy it as much as I would have enjoyed in other circumstances. Nonetheless and once I finally got hooked by the story (it took me a while), I quite liked the story. I'm still not sure if I'll continue reading the series in the future but for now I'm not really that bothered to do so. Rating: between 2,5 and 3/5


The Year I Met You by Cecelia Ahern:
I started this novel thinking that it would be a contemporary romance but I was wrong. This might have bothered other readers but me, I just felt confused. That is until I realized this was not a story about a couple of people meeting and falling in love. It's actually of two people, a man and a woman, meeting in a difficult time of their lives and becoming friends, not without setbacks, that end up supporting and taking care of each other. It's the story of a thirty-something woman forced to stop her hectic life and how from this unwanted situation she begins to rediscover herself, realizing who she really is and what she wants to do with her life (or not) but finding the courage to better understand herself and those around her. Yes, he eventually meets a guy and he is very dreamy and I admit I drooled every time he was described or was in any scene doing whatever (he was just so cute, guys!) but it's not the main focus of the novel, just part of the different pieces that conform the protagonist's new life. After the initial confusion, this novel proved to be a very good read. Rating: 4/5.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram Feed

Goodreads

currently-reading

The Blood of Olympus
tagged: currently-reading
La música del silencio
tagged: currently-reading
The Raven Boys
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com

Subscribe